If you can help, please contact us at email@example.com
Front Burner Severe Weather Needs
Got Tents or Blankets or Cold-weather Gear?
Several individuals and agencies are responding to Tacoma’s declaration of emergency regarding homelessness. Anything helps & everything is appreciated.
- Tents: Inclement weather is near and some people who are exiting the stability site (here in Tacoma) need small tents for their journeys. Please let us know if you have a tent you can donate for this specific cause.
- Blankets: are needed for the stability site and for operation keep ’em warm & fed.
- Socks, underwear, hats, and gloves: (clean used items in good condition are great) are needed for the point in time count and always needed by area shelters and the SeaMar Homeless Clinic.
- Thermals, sturdy shoes, and other cold weather gear: This time of year, donations of these items can bring “comfort and joy” to the residents of local shelters and the stability site too.
- Food: Sign up here to provide meals for the City of Tacoma’s Stability Site for individuals experiencing homelessness. Groups, agencies, and individuals need to be able to provide a meal for 100 people. If you can manage one meal a month (or one meal a year) they will be happy to hear from you! Thanks to the Salvation Army Tacoma Corps for coordinating the food donations.
Contact the Salvation Army or Catholic Community Services to donate, or feel free to drop off anything (except the meals) with us. Super volunteer, Rosemary Powers, is helping to collect and distribute donations. Please keep her really busy during the cold days ahead.
Ongoing Needs for Welcome Baskets
Residents come to Irma’s Place and Annie’s Cottage with few personal belongings. We are grateful for the in-kind donations provided by the community. Personal care items, gift-cards (especially thrift store gift-cards), and other small items for the rooms and the welcome baskets make the transition into the house much easier. Donations are also used to create “starter kits” for women as they move on to independent housing.
Ongoing Needs for the Houses
New Connections is always happy to receive donations of the following items:
- Household supplies: cleaning supplies and tools, paper goods, etc.
- Food: we provide a welcome dinner and food for the first few days while women acquire food assistance and visit food banks.
- Office Supplies
- Movies (DVD format): the house has basic cable but no movie channels.
- Women’s clothing and shoes: we have very little storage; so, sizes we cannot currently use are passed on to local shelters and clothing banks (including the corrections centers for women).
- New Connections also collects men’s clothing for the Nativity House clothing room and the men’s clothing bank at Cedar Creek Corrections Center.
- Garden tools, seed, and plant starts for the pea patch and the community commons project. Both projects need vegetables and landscaping plants.