Follow this link for more information, workshop materials, and resources from the New Connections Reentry Simulation Presented at the 2018 RPI Conference
Building New Connections
Women face many challenges when returning to society after incarceration. The first days and weeks are critical to building a more positive future. New Connections offers safe housing in a welcoming community along with advocacy, networking, and resource coaching to support those first crucial steps toward successful transition.
To Promote Successful Reintegration, We Provide:
Irma’s House: supportive recovery shelter for women experiencing homelessness who have recently been released from correctional facilities in Washington State. The program includes housing, intensive resource coaching, advocacy, and reentry support.
Annie’s Cottage: a family shelter adjacent to Irma Gary House, the cottage provides the services described above for women experiencing homelessness and their children. The cottage is reserved for justice-involved women with custody of minor children.
Reentry Resource Navigation
- Reentry and resource coaching (pre & post release)
- Peer navigator assistance
- On-line resource bank & warm-line
Pre-release program to identify needs and offer community resources for those currently incarcerated
Advocacy, community outreach, and policy initiatives
Partnering with others to increase community safety, reduce recidivism, and eliminate barriers to success for formerly incarcerated individuals and their families.
Community Partner for the Emergency Temporary Aid & Sheltering Initiative
This is a City of Tacoma initiative in response to state of public health emergency declared by the city council on May 9, 2017. New Connections contributes to this effort through:
- Outreach to justice involved people who are experiencing homelessness via the primary mitigation site
- Establishing tools and capacity for continued advocacy and resource mentoring at phase 2 and 3 sites as they are developed
- Participating in city led planning meetings with multiple other agencies and individuals